The word embroidery means crafting patterns on different materials, for the sake of enhancement of the quality. Embroidery is done through a process, it can be done manual but due to technological advancement, there are embroidery machines initiated to reduce the time consumed on embroidery. Embroidery is practiced in various industries for a lot of different works. It’s used in the textile industry for designing patterns, also the garment industry uses the process of embroidery to strengthen its brand image of clothing. It’s also used to layout designs on gifts and even on home decoration pieces. What is an embroidery machine is written in keeping mind the beginners.
These embroidery machines are easy to use, they are convenient and once you have a know-how of the technicalities, then it’s effortless to use an embroidery machine. So, it’s easy to use by beginners as well.
How to use an embroidery machine for beginners:
Before moving towards the guide for beginners, there are few tips and tricks, which will help them ace in embroidery. First of all the key is to relax which means you don’t have to panic or worry before commencing an embroidery machine. Then learn about the threads, needles, and about the machine. Moreover, if you are a beginner then make sure you start with a small amount of work, learn small designing like a flower or so, and then practice it thoroughly. This helps you a long way because when you’re perfect in small different designing than its easy for you to combine those and make one big pattern.
Moving towards the guide:
- Type of machine: If we talk about the type of machine, which should be used by the beginner, then its single head machine, as it allows you to practice basic features of the embroidery machine. The reason why its called a single head machine because the single needle just remains at its place while the embroidery arm placed in the machine prints the design that you have selected.
- Threads used by a beginner should be polyester, rayon, cotton, and metallic. If you are making bedsheets and clothing then polyester should be used. Anything, which needs to be washed should have polyester used in it. Rayon can also be used but the problem with it is that it’s not so strong as polyester and it breaks a few times. Due to this breakage, it runs out quickly. However, the design made through rayon gives a delicate look. Using cotton has a lot of benefits, the outcome of the work is outstanding and it gives more of a handmade work look, which is the most attractive part of it. Metallic thread is also an option, which also produces great results. However, the issue with the metallic thread is that it breaks frequently.
- Downloading the designs: Designing is the main key for outstanding embroidery work. It enhances the embroidery. If you are, a designer and can think of your patterns, then well and good. If you are a neophyte and want to seek ideas for beautiful patterns, then go for authentic websites. Some websites provide free designs and other demand a cost for downloading the design.
- If you are really, keen to learn about making patterns on your own. Then, you should go for embroidery digitization. This shows that how you can craft your designs efficiently, without paying to websites for downloading their patterns.
How does an embroidery machine work?
Few steps need to be followed for the operation of an embroidery machine.
- First, if the machine is new so the parts won’t be adjusted and so you have to set up the machine for its fine working. Before, starting up, some adjustments need to be made. Make sure the machine is unplugged before you start. If you are using a computerized embroidery then you’ll be needing a frame, which is available in different sizes. Moreover, you’ll be needing the arm for designing the pattern, and for that just you have to pull out the arm and click on it. This arm is attached to the frame.
- Next, you have to insert the needles. These needles are beneficial as they don’t make the thread break in between the embroidery process. Many people just use normal thread for embroidery, however, experts say that for embroidery you should use embroidery thread. By doing this, the look of the design is different. A sleek and lovely pattern is formed. Furthermore, for embroidery designs you can download them from websites by paying them as stated above.
- The next step is to prepare for the embroidery. Before inserting the frame you should insert the fabric. If that inserted fabric is thin, you have to use a stabilizer. Then place the top part of the frame on the fabric inserted, then push it and lock it inside. You have to make sure the frame is tight and for that turn the knob to tighten the frame. Furthermore, then flip the latch, then put the frame in the arm and click it to make sure it’s secure. The other element to be assured of is that the fabric doesn’t be in the frame and also there is a bobbin thread to be loaded. Use the same colored bobbin thread, as you are using it with the main thread. If your machine allows you to adjust the design and the frame’s position, then do that if any necessary settings needs to be done.
- The next step will be when everything is aligned, then check which colored thread is first in row, then check the pattern and click start. The machine will start to print the design on the fabric and will automatically stop, when one colored pattern is completed. Once the one colored pattern is done, then just you have to make the presser foot free and have to change the thread color and again commence the printing by clicking on start. After the whole embroidery is done, slide the frame out, there would be loose threads on the embroidery show, which you can cut with a sharp scissors. Then, press the embroidery pattern firmly to have a nice polished look. Now, you are done with the printing of embroidery design.
Quilting with an embroidery machine:
Quilt is a woven cotton fabric usually a three-layered cloth on which designing is preferred through embroidery. The quilt enhances its quality through embroidery. There are few steps to follow to have an embroidery design on your quilt.
- Commence by brainstorming a pattern; gather the quilt fabric on which you have to print an embroidery design.
- You should use a fabric pen (removable) for marking the points on the fabric, and this is how you’ll be clear about the pattern flow.
- Furthermore, you have to choose the design and a hoop; you can have access to designs on various soft wares. Hoop size is also required that will help you in fitting your quilt.
- The next step is to set the machine in which you have to choose the thread color, the needle, and have to set the thread in the bobbin as well. Insert the selected needle in the machine.
- Now, the design needs to be resized. It can be done on the machine on which you’ll quilt and even also on soft wares. By the size, it means, that you’ll print the design according to the shape of the quilt.
- Insert the fabric in the hoop, which needs to get the print on, the key in this step is that a small portion of the quilt should be printed.
- Then, positioning of the file is also important. It will help you in the alignment of the hoop. Scale the file there are different applications for that and then send the file back to the machine.
- Now, insert the hoop and start quilting in the machine.
- Once a part of the hoop is done, and then repeat the same above steps for the other parts left. You are good to go then.
How to make patches on embroidery machine:
- A water-soluble stabilizer is necessary, which helps to fit the hoop inside. In this step, you have to circle a part of the water-soluble stabilizer.
- You have to now do a placement stitching, which is to do the stitching of the applique design. This is the first round.
- Now, put the applique fabric over the placement stitching done in the second step.
- To secure the applique fabric to water-soluble stabilizer, you have to do a tack down stitching this is the second round.
- Now, remove the hoop from the machine and use an applique scissor from which you’ll cut the applique fabric very close to the tack down stitching done in the previous step.
- In this step, satin stitching will be done, which is for the edge of the patch.
For Patch Stitching
- Now, necessary rounds of stitching will be done to complete the look for the patch.
- As you are done with the above steps, remove the patch from the hoop and truncate the water-soluble stabilizer. Apply fray check on the edges of the patch, if you see any frays on the edges.
- Now, trace the design on heat bond, which takes just an iron to stick the patch anywhere and the patch doesn’t have to sew.
- Insert the heat bond with the help of a fusing.
- After that, remove the packing of the heat bond by peeling it away, and now it’s ready to be fused anywhere.
How an Embroidery Machine Works